18+ Pinterest Stats to Pique Your Interest in 2023
Updated · Mar 06, 2023
If you want to boost your marketing efforts, you must first comprehend today's most popular social media sites.
Pinterest stats can help you develop your marketing strategy both on and off the network. They assist advertisers in understanding the platform’s users and identifying hot material.
We at HostingTribunal compiled a list of the most important statistics about the platform, Pinterest demographics like age and gender distribution, information about its market share and revenue, and more.
Astonishing Pinterest Statistics to Keep in Mind in 2022
- Pinterest ranked 14th in terms of active global visitors as of January 2021.
- The platform presently boasts 459 million monthly active users.
- 29% of the US internet users browse Pinterest.
- Females account for more than 60% of all Pinterest visitors.
- Pinterest users saved over 200 billion pins.
- 85% of pinners claim they use the platform to plan purchases.
- When looking for remodeling assistance online, customers are four times more likely to check on Pinterest than other social media platforms.
- Nearly half of the platform’s subscribers use it for shopping.
- 85% of Pinterest’s visits come from the mobile app.
- Millennials use Pinterest and Instagram equally often.
- More than 90% of advertisers claim that Pinterest has a more positive reputation than other social media platforms.
Pinterest Stats 2022
Let’s take a quick look at some key Pinterest statistics that might help you understand the importance of this platform for businesses and individuals.
1. Pinterest was founded in March 2010.
Wondering how old Pinterest is? It was founded by Ben Silbermann, Evan Sharp, and Paul Sciarra back in March 2010. Their journey has been nothing short of astonishing.
2. Pinterest ranked 14th in terms of global active users as of January 2021.
The platform ranks lower than Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat but higher than Twitter.
3. Pinterest has 240 billion pieces of content.
In 2018, Pinterest had 175 billion posts on the platform. In the past two and a half years, it accumulated 65 billion more. Don’t be surprised if Pinterest statistics show even bigger numbers in the next couple of years.
4. Pinterest is used primarily to generate ideas.
(Source: Influencer Marketing Hub)
When starting a new project, 85% of users go to Pinterest. 90% appreciate the positive content and 65% utilize the website to find reliable products, ideas, and services.
5. Pinterest is optimized for ecommerce.
Pinterest is currently uploading 75% more shopping catalogs for retailers. It also internationalized its Shopping Ads, making it easier for advertisers to sell items.
Pinterest is used by millions of people worldwide. The platform is exceptionally popular in the US, but the number of visitors is rapidly growing in all corners of the world.
Let’s take a quick look at the Pinterest user demographics to see how they’re distributed.
6. There are now 459 million monthly active users on the platform.
Wondering how many active users does Pinterest have? As of the end of 2020, the count was estimated to be 459 million per month!
Since the previous quarter (Q3 2020), the worldwide Pinterest user base has expanded by 3.85 percent. The platform has gained 124 million new monthly active users in total during the whole year.
7. Over 50% of Pinterest users live outside of the US.
The popularity of Pinterest in the USA is enormous, but the worldwide audience is also large.
Whether you own a company based in the US or somewhere else, there is a large international user base that saves your content, product, or ideas.
8. 100.75 million people use Pinterest in the US.
Do you know how many people use Pinterest in the US? In January 2021, the United States had roughly 100.75 million users. If you own a business in the US, Pinterest is the ideal social media platform for you.
9. 50% of millennials in the US use this platform.
(Source: Influencer Marketing Hub)
Those who browse the platform have greater resources to invest in the pursuit of their objectives. They use it for inspiration, to make their ambitions a reality, and to turn hazy thoughts into concrete ones.
10. 85% of pinners use the Pinterest mobile app.
The number of mobile users increased dramatically in the past few years. Pinterest is no exception, with 85% accessing the platform via their smartphones.
Make your Pinterest images mobile-friendly for those who view your content on a small screen to increase engagement.
11. The Pinterest audience is 77.1% female.
Wondering how many Pinterest users are female? There are over five times more women on this platform than men. As of January 2021, only 14.5% were male.
12. 83% of women use Pinterest to make plans for their future.
(Source: Social Champ)
They are far less likely to use Facebook (53%) and Instagram (44%) to set their objectives and visualize them.
13. Pinterest is visited by 80% of moms in the US.
Trying to persuade moms to buy your product? A Pinterest business account is almost certainly a good idea. Four out of every five moms in the United States use Pinterest to find new products and inspiration.
After looking at who uses Pinterest, it’s time to see how much the platform is worth.
Pinterest Market Share
The popularity of Pinterest is nothing short of astonishing. The number of Pinterest users is rapidly increasing along with its market value.
I compiled a list of stats that shows the growth of Pinterest over the years and its dominance in the social networking industry.
14. Pinterest is worth more than $35 billion.
(Source: Business of Apps)
During the coronavirus pandemic, Pinterest reported an increase in its monthly active users and earnings, as did most social media companies. The greatest part of the Pinterest revenue comes from advertisements.
15. Pinterest generated nearly $1.7 billion in revenue in 2020.
This represents a 48% growth from the previous year (2019), when the Pinterest ad revenue was $1.14 billion. The US market accounts for around 84% of Pinterest's total yearly revenue.
16. 275 million people visit Pinterest at least once a week.
This equates to 56% of all monthly active visitors. This percentage has remained almost unchanged over the past few years.
17. Pinterest ads reach over 200 million individuals.
Pinterest's advertising reach increased by 6.2% quarter over quarter and is expected to increase even more in 2021.
Pinterest stats show that more than half of the overall population available to advertisers is in the US. This is bound to change since Pinterest is expanding its ad targeting portfolio to include more countries.
18. 92% of Pinterest advertisers rate the platform as the best in terms of reputation.
Pinterest is ahead of eight other platforms in this regard.
The positive environment makes users more likely to trust a brand they found on Pinterest, which makes advertisers feel confident about the platform.
The Pinterest popularity is rapidly growing among ecommerce, travel, and decor businesses.
Let’s take a quick look at some of the stats that highlight the latest Pinterest trends.
19. People spend more than a quarter of their time on Pinterest shopping or looking for products.
(Source: Sprout Social)
Because of the popularity of this activity, many big ecommerce businesses and small shops use Pinterest. If you’re in that niche too, you should focus on developing shoppable and promoted pins and improve your Pinterest SEO strategy.
20. Joy Cho is the most followed individual on Pinterest.
According to Pinterest stats, Joy Cho, designer, writer, and founder of Oh Joy! has maintained her dominance on the site for quite some time, acquiring more than 15 million followers.
Other popular profiles on Pinterest include those of Maryann Rizzo (9 million followers), Poppytalk (10.4 million followers), and Mamas Uncut (8.5 million followers).
You can search for your favorite Pinterest users easily in the search bar and follow them.
21. Nearly 44% of Pinterest desktop users are in the US.
(Source: Influencer Marketing Hub)
The US has by far the most Pinterest desktop users. It is followed by Brazil with only 8%, then India with 4%, China with 3%, and Poland with 2%.
22. 97% of Pinterest queries are not brand-related.
Almost no Pinterest searches are brand-related. In other words, users do not include explicit brand names in their inquiries.
Many pins on Pinterest start getting more views and engagement through optimized titles, keywords, and descriptions. So you might want to try that.
So What Is the Appeal of Pinterest to Marketers?
This platform has been a top priority for many small businesses and marketers. But is Pinterest the right social media platform for you?
Here are some of the ways you can use it to build and advertise your business.
- Build your business awareness and promote your product and services on the platform.
- Pinterest helps businesses increase web traffic, grow their audience, and acquire inbound links.
- You can easily discover your audience’s interest.
- Pinterest inspires your customers to purchase from you.
Pinterest Tips for Business
- Add a “Pin It” button to each image on your website. This makes it simple for your visitors to spread the word about your business. If they don't buy it straight away, it might also function as a bookmark reminder of your product or service. I often check my old Pinterest pins for inspiration.
- Check your pins regularly to see what content is performing well and what isn’t. If a pin is not getting good results, you might want to change your image or description or even your marketing strategy. The repin count on Pinterest might show you which posts are performing well.
- Pinterest people appreciate a stunning visual of products. Don't overlook the 500-character description behind the pin, either. Create a description that will aid the sale of your product.
- Consider including the product's price in the description. Pinterest boards with pricing receive 36% more likes than those without, according to Shopify, one of the top ecommerce platforms.
- After all, Pinterest is a visual user search engine. Keywords, like with any other search engine, serve as the foundation for content discovery on Pinterest. This is why it is critical to include them in your company, board, pin names, and descriptions.
Although Pinterest is not as popular as other social media networks, such as Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, you should not dismiss its potential. This platform has millions of users worldwide and the majority of them utilize it to buy something or find new products and ideas.
Don't pass up the opportunity to use this platform for marketing. Its users are ardent consumers. With the marketing approach, you will certainly boost your sales and gain loyal customers.
If you haven’t done so already, check the Pinterest stats above to learn how to reach the correct audience.
Branko is a round-the-clock tech geek and loving it. His ideal vacation destination is the Akihabara District (or really any place he can take his computer). If there’s a server out there, count on him to find out what it’s made of… and tell you all about it.