There are multiple ways to back your WordPress data for free. Provided you have the knowledge, you can do it yourself – just make sure to archive both files and databases. Of course, you can pick one of the best WordPress backup plugin tools to do the job for you. It’s essential you find a trusted WP provider as well, one that includes daily backups in their list of features.
What Is UpdraftPlus?
One of the most popular and trusted WP backup plugins, UpdraftPlus, has been downloaded more than 3 million timessince its first release.
It has all the perks you need - scheduled backups, external storage locations, and easy restore points. Great support options if you need more assistance with the tool.
Ease of Use
UpdraftPlus’s growing popularity is partially due to its intuitiveness. Even a complete newbie won’t need much time before they understand what is what.
Once installed, you can easily set up the UpdraftPlus WordPress backup plugin to make archives at specific times and store them on a number of locations outside your hosting server.
No more than a few clicks to get to any of the essential options.
The team behind UpdraftPlus are no pushovers. They made sure you have plenty of options for archiving data - files, databases, plugins, and themes are all covered.
Additionally, you can choose the type of backup - be it incremental, pre-update, or a migration website clone.
Great choices for offsite backup locations await round the corner. Dropbox, Amazon S3, Google Drive, and RackSpaceare just a few of the available options.
UpdraftPlus is also compatible with WPMU, so backing up WordPress multi-site projects is as effortless as you can imagine.
UpdraftPlus Best Features
- This plugin offers extensive scheduling options - apart from daily backups, you can arrange data archiving every 4, 8, or 12 hours.
- Allows for backup imports from third-party locations. Drag-and-drop functionalities included.
- Clone your website and use the copy as a staging site to test new changes and plugins before uploading them to the live version.
- Apart from major platforms like Google Drive and Dropbox, UpdraftPlus supports cloud backup storage via FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, and more.
- Various statistics and logs for your processes. A detailed report after each successful WordPress backup.
- Equally good for smaller and very big websites that take more than 10 GB with a single backup. Support for WordPress Multisite.
What We Disliked?
- A relatively expensive option, compared to other WordPress site backup tools.
- No lifetime option - you have to renew your licenses every year.
- Free - you can make full backups of your files, databases, plugins, and themes. Easy scheduling and automatic backing up. Quick restores from the WordPress control panel.
- Premium - from $50.40/year - gives full access to all add-ons, updates, and tokens. Adds forum and email support options. Extras like incremental backups, site cloning, and multisite backups.
UpdraftPlus User Reviews
- Trustpilot score - 3.3 / 5 (6 reviews)
- WordPress.org score - 4.8 / 5 (3,755 reviews)
- G2 score - 4.3 / 5 (15 reviews)
You’ll mostly find very positive comments about UpdraftPlus online. Users are delighted with the advanced usability, and even non-savvy customers found the plugin effortless to use.
Still, not everyone finds UpdraftPlus the best backup plugin for WordPress. The slow and unhelpful support appears to be the main culprit for thе client discontent. Not good as this is advertised as one of the perks of the Premium plan.
We Recommend UpdraftPlus For…
UpdraftPlus is rightfully one of the most downloaded WP plugins for backup. The tool is quite intuitive and easy for beginners. The extra options like site cloning and incremental backups give the plugin even more firepower.