What Is NordVPN?
With over 14 million users, NordVPN is one of the most popular solutions out there. It gained a lot of traction due to its focus on high speeds and great privacy.
Here’s what its offer looks like.
NordVPN has three plans. All packages let you install the Mac VPN app on up to six devices and include all the essential features.
The one-month plan would cost you $11.95/month.
The one-year plan starts at $4.92/month and renews at $11.95/month after the first year.
The two-year plan is a bit cheaper, starting at $4.13/month, which amounts to a total of $99 for the first 24 months. After that, it is billed at $286.80/year.
For an additional fee, you can get NordPass—NordVPN’s password manager, and NordLocker—a file encryption solution. It’s great if you want to get multiple security services with your OSX VPN.
NordVPN Best Features
The VPN works on macOS and iOS. If you get a VPN router, you can encrypt all the traffic leaving your local area network.
- Vast network – NordVPN runs thousands of servers spread across 59 countries. This includes mainland China, so you can get around the Great Firewall.
- Advanced protocols – You can use OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPSec protocols, which is standard. A real treat, though, is the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol. It is based on WireGuard—one of the fastest protocols.
- Excellent security – The provider has many additional security measures. This is why NordVPN is one of the fastest VPNs for Mac while remaining 100% private.
- Zero logs – If you’re looking for unbeatable privacy, you’ll love that NordVPN is based in Panama—a country that has no laws obligating VPN providers to keep logs. And NordVPN has a strict zero-logging policy.
- Complete privacy – The company ensures complete security by keeping no personally identifiable information (PII). And the servers themselves are diskless, meaning everything runs purely in RAM. All the data is erased whenever the server is shut down or restarted, protecting you if NordVPN's servers get seized.
- Flawless killswitch – The VPN for Mac features a built-in automatic killswitch. If your connection drops, the app will block all traffic to prevent your identity from being discovered.
- Trackless connection – The host stops ad traffic and all trackers, so sites can’t attempt to identify you. You’ll also find that the VPN blocks some suspicious domains known for malvertising or scams.
- Seamless streaming – The VPN software for Mac was also one of the first to support streaming. You can connect to Netflix from about 95% of the servers. Plenty of other services are supported too.
- Torrenting – P2P and torrenting are also completely allowed.
- Bypass firewalls – If your job or school has a VPN ban, you get the wonderful option to obfuscate your traffic. This makes it look like regular HTTPS traffic, so you can get around various blocks and firewalls. Just don’t let your boss see you.
What We Disliked
NordVPN has extensions for encrypted browsing through Chrome and Firefox.
However, many Apple users prefer Safari, which isn’t included. You’d need to install the entire app if you want to surf the internet privately from this browser.
NordVPN User Reviews
The OSX VPN gets an immense number of positive reviews. Thousands of users praise it as their go-to VPN. Plus, it gets 4.6/5 stars from Apple users in the App Store—an impressive result.
A few users did complain about NordVPN's complicated procedure for turning off auto-renewals or canceling plans. To be fair, you do need to jump through a few hoops, but NordVPN has a guide you can follow.
Overall, the impressions are positive.
We Recommend NordVPN For…
NordVPN is fantastic for anyone who wants top speeds without making any concessions in terms of privacy. It’s one of the best VPN software for Mac.