EqualWeb Review | Pros, Cons, and Detailed Analysis
Written byNick Galov
Updated · Oct 06, 2022
Some or all of the products/services listed on this page are from our affiliate partners from which we receive commissions. This, however, does not influence the evaluations in our reviews. Learn more by reading our.
- 7-day free trial
- Superb ease of use
- Managed compliance
- Excellent reputation
- Limited scanner
- Complex pricing
Increasing your site’s accessibility for people with different disabilities and disorders is no longer optional as of 2022. This has several implications for your blog, website, and whatever online business you run.
In this EqualWeb review, we go into great detail about these implications and elaborate on how the service sets out to deal with them.
We also analyze EqualWeb’s strengths, weaknesses, pricing structure, and customer service. Finally, we’ll compare it with similar solutions and give a final verdict.
Let’s dive right into it.
What Is EqualWeb?
EqualWeb is an online service that combines automated tools and manual procedures to guarantee that all your visitors—regardless of disability—can appreciate your site.
With EqualWeb’s premium plans, you’re sure to be 100% compliant with ADA, WCAG 2.1, Section 508, and other regulations on web accessibility.
Having your website’s accessibility improved by EqualWeb is really easy. All you have to do is create an account and go through a seamless onboarding process. You’ll then get access to a plethora of useful features.
How Does EqualWeb Work?
EqualWeb specifies four main steps for creating a completely accessible website:
- Access code – Upon registration and purchase, you will receive an accessibility code for your website, which you can copy from the dashboard. If you run a business online, don’t worry—there’s an EqualWeb integration for all the best ecommerce website builders so that the process will be seamless.
- Automated process – This is the automated portion of EqualWeb’s compliance and accessibility procedures. Depending on which service you choose, it can include remediation, scanning, monitoring, and reporting. Basically, it encompasses all AI-based operations and machine learning.
- Manual intervention – EqualWeb is one of the few accessibility solutions that employ both automations and manual interventions. Many users highly appreciate this, as EqualWeb’s experts work to optimize all 32 of your website’s accessibility functions after the automated procedure is done.
- Monitoring apparatus – EqualWeb also aims at maintaining accessibility. It gives you advanced monitoring tools that track your website’s compliance level and prompt you to make the necessary adjustments.
Whether you tap into all of these or simply go for the EqualWeb plugin, the end goal is the same: to design the best possible UX for people with sensory, motor, or cognitive impairments, as well as for elderly people and epileptics.
EqualWeb Best Features
- Accessibility checker – With this 100% free feature, you can detect any accessibility error on your website. It basically acts as an EqualWeb extension to your browser.
- Automatic and manual remediation – EqualWeb combines automations with manual interventions to improve the compliance and accessibility of your site.
- Good reputation among customers – EqualWeb has a solid reputation online. For instance, it has earned a 4.7/5 rating in Trustpilot and a 4.6/5 score on G2.
- Easy to set up – As many customers attest in their EqualWeb reviews, using the platform’s optimization tools is like a walk in the park.
- Accessibility consulting – You can get a free session with an EqualWeb expert. They will help you design a unique and tailor-made strategy for your website.
- EqualWeb Audit – This free tool gives you a detailed evaluation report on your website’s accessibility status.
- Training service – So you can learn about the best accessibility practices and how to implement them.
- $1,000,000 warranty – In the unlikely event that someone decides to sue you for an accessibility issue, EqualWeb has your back with a $1,000,000 warranty. This perk only comes with the Managed Compliance plan, though.
What We Disliked
Admittedly, there are a few things about the solution that we didn’t find as impressive.
Although we at Web Tribunal wouldn’t consider them deal-breakers, our review wouldn’t be thorough if we didn’t mention the few EqualWeb shortcomings we noticed.
- Somewhat convoluted offer – The company organizes its bundles and feature packs according to multiple criteria. It can get pretty annoying for users who seek simplicity and straightforward pricing.
- Limited scanning capabilities – EqualWeb’s accessibility checker is an extremely useful free feature, but it doesn’t cover all the relevant areas for a website’s ADA compliance. We’re talking about omissions like pre-recorded captions, non-text contrast, or consistent navigation.
- Not the lowest prices – Although the solution offers several free tools, you’ll need to pay a premium for its more advanced features. And, unfortunately, EqualWeb’s cost can be somewhat high. For instance, AI-powered remediation goes up to $169/month.
Plans & Pricing
Apart from the following plans, the company also offers independent accessibility services, such as document remediation or an audit.
If you’re interested, you can contact customer service for a quote.
This option includes a comprehensive analysis of website accessibility and compliance. It also gets you access to step-by-step guides, checklists, monitoring, and checking tools.
EqualWeb offers automated remediation for websites of all sizes. The price of this service spans from $39 per month for a small website (100 pages) to $169 monthly (or $1,690 annually) for 100,000 pages. On top of the AI-powered ADA compliance widget, EqualWeb will provide you with a compliance statement and a certificate of performance, along with a monitor scan and 24/7 technical support via email. You can test out this plan with a 7-day free trial before committing to a subscription.
If your site has more than 100,000 pages, this is probably your best option. It comes with an accessibility certificate, a free monthly monitor scan, an accessibility specialist account manager, and phone support.
As we mentioned in the pricing section of our EqualWeb review, if you subscribe to any of the AI-powered plans, you’ll get 24/7 technical support via email. And if you choose Managed Compliance, you can also have one-on-one phone interactions.
But even as a prospective customer, you can contact EqualWeb’s support team either via the contact form, email, or phone number.
We personally tested one of these channels (email support) and received a thoughtful and friendly answer within three hours of submitting the inquiry. We were quite pleased with both the response time and the response itself, which resonates with many EqualWeb reviews online.
EqualWeb also boasts an impressive knowledge base, with numerous how-to guides, an FAQ section, and a blog. You can also get a free consultation with a compliance expert and even a few audits, so we’d say EqualWeb’s customer service goes above and beyond.
Is EqualWeb Worth It?
The solution offers its customers several perks and advantages, such as the EqualWeb free widget for scanning, a 7-day free trial with all the Automatic Remediation plans, thorough manual remediation options, and excellent ease of use.
Granted, the complicated pricing structure, steeper rates for top-tier plans, or limited scanning capacity are not ideal. All the same, EqualWeb is a complete and reliable solution that helps you comply with most (if not all) accessibility regulations out there.
Perhaps most importantly, the people who use it praise the solution openly in many EqualWeb reviews online.
So, taking everything into account, we’d say EqualWeb is a robust, comprehensive, and renowned website accessibility tool that’s worth considering if you’re after ADA and WCAG compliance.
We were curious about how EqualWeb fares against other solutions in the industry, so we made some brief analyses and laid them out below for you.
EqualWeb vs UserWay
These two are fairly similar. For instance, they both have a streamlined yet powerful interface, boast pretty unobtrusive widgets, and offer good starter plans for free.
As for the premium options, the difference between the two solutions lies in that EqualWeb’s cost varies depending on how many pages your site has, whereas UserWay charges you depending on how much traffic you get.
For instance, if you get up to 100,000 visits per month, you’ll have to pay $490/year.
EqualWeb vs AccessiBe
AccessiBe has certain advantages that EqualWeb lacks.
For example, it offers daily website scans, an extended advisory service, and a two-structured automated system.
However, AccessiBe is more expensive than EqualWeb, so if you’re interested in a budget-friendlier option, you’ll probably want to stick to the latter.
EqualWeb vs AudioEye
Both of these services offer expert consultation and WCAG compliance, but AudioEye caters more to large enterprises and seasoned entrepreneurs. It also offers premium support features, such as webinars and extensive training.
EqualWeb fights back with the $1,000,000 warranty and almost 100% positive customer feedback.
EqualWeb’s mission is to make sure people with disabilities have the friendliest online environment possible—and, so far, we’d say it’s been doing a great job of creating handicap-accessible websites.
The solution offers a bunch of free features and a 7-day free trial, it’s easy to install and integrate into your site, it has positive customer feedback, and it’s secure and flexible.
What more can you ask from an accessibility and ADA compliance tool in 2022?
EqualWeb scans your website to give you an accessibility score, highlights the areas that should be improved, and gives you the necessary tools in the form of automatic and manual remediation.
EqualWeb starts at $39 per month and goes up to $169 for websites with up to 100,000 pages. Some features are free, and some others have custom prices. To see more, read the pricing section in our EqualWeb review.
Although EqualWeb is not an entirely free service, the platform does offer a free plan and an accessibility checker as a browser extension. It also provides a 7-day free trial with any of its paid AI-based remediation plans.
You can terminate the collaboration and de-install the solution anytime you want. However, you have to provide prior notice to the EqualWeb team.
Unaware that life beyond the internet exists, Nick is poking servers and control panels, playing with WordPress add-ons, and helping people get the hosting that suits them.