How to Make Charcoal in Minecraft?
Updated · Oct 07, 2022
For many new players, one of the most daunting aspects of Minecraft is gathering resources. There are so many different items that can be used for crafting, so it can be difficult to know where to start.
Charcoal is a valuable resource that's fairly easy to produce and has many functions.
This guide will show you how to craft it in just a few simple steps.
What Can You Do with Charcoal in Minecraft?
Charcoal is one of the key resources in the game and can be used as fuel. It burns longer than other materials, such as wood, and it's a renewable energy source, unlike coal. It’s ideal for preparing food or smelting ores.
Additionally, it's sometimes easier to get charcoal than coal.
How to Make Charcoal in Minecraft?
Making charcoal is quick and easy; just follow these simple steps:
1. Gather Wood and Fuel
You can use any type of wood you have in the biome you are currently at. For fuel, you will need either coal or more wood.
2. Use the Furnace to Make Charcoal in Minecraft
Place the wood in the top slot and the fuel under it in the furnace. You'll get one charcoal for every piece of timber and fuel you put in.
Coal vs. Charcoal in MC
When it comes to fuel sources in Minecraft, coal and charcoal are the two most common options. Both have their benefits and drawbacks, so here's a quick rundown of how they compare.
The Minecraft charcoal recipe requires only wood, making it a sustainable resource. Coal, on the other hand, is a non-renewable material that must be mined from the ground. So, the former may be the better option for new players since it can be easily gathered.
However, coal has certain advantages. For one, villagers won’t trade for charcoal, so coal is the way to go if you're looking to get some good deals. Additionally, coal can be made into blocks, while charcoal can’t. That can be handy, as a coal block can smelt up to 80 items.
Finally, if you’re wondering whether to make charcoal or coal in Minecraft, keep in mind both have the same burning capacity and will last for 80 seconds in a furnace.
Ultimately, it comes down to what you have available around you.
Whatever you choose, it’ll get the job done.
What Else to Do With Charcoal in Minecraft?
There are many things that charcoal can be used for besides furnace fuel. Here are some of the most common options:
- Campfires are a great way to light up a dark area and keep mobs at bay. To make one, you need charcoal and any type of wooden sticks and blocks.
- Torches are among the essential items in Minecraft, as they provide light in tunnels and caves. You'll need charcoal and wooden sticks for crafting.
- Fire charge has many purposes, such as igniting fires or making fireworks. Its recipe requires blaze powder, charcoal, and gunpowder. Once you know how to get charcoal in Minecraft, it’s time to get wild with this item.
- Soul torches emit a turquoise light and don't melt ice and snow. They are made by placing soul soil or soul sand, charcoal, and sticks in the crafting grid.
- Powered minecarts are used to move other minecarts. The only way to fuel them is with charcoal or coal.
- A fully-automated, self-fueling charcoal generator is something you might need at later stages of the game. It can provide you with a nearly endless supply of fuel.
As you can see, there are many ways to use charcoal, so be sure to stock up on this versatile resource.
To Wrap Up
Now that you know how to make charcoal in Minecraft, put your new skills to the test. Start by gathering some wood and then follow the steps outlined above to see your productivity (and survivability) skyrocket.
With a little bit of practice, you’ll find this new crafting recipe useful for all the awesome creations you can come up with.
With charmingly infectious enthusiasm, Marina is always thrilled by forthcoming challenges. Thanks to her knack for gathering useful (and not so much) information, she is here to get you any answer you need.