How to Make a Fence in Minecraft?
Updated · Jun 13, 2022
In Minecraft, fences have very strategic purposes — to keep mobs in or out of an area or build different structures.
Additionally, they make lovely decorations.
In this guide, we'll show you everything you need to know about these barrier blocks and how to craft them.
We'll also go over the different types of fences available and where you'll find them in the open world.
What Can You Use a Fence in Minecraft For?
Fences are a versatile barrier block that will come in handy in many situations.
It'll appear as a one-block-high wall that entities can't jump over, so you should use it to create pens and enclosures for animals or keep hostile mobs out of an area.
You may also tie animals to fences using a lead.
All fences in Minecraft can be used for construction or decoration, for example, when building roofs or ceilings.
These blocks are see-through for players but not for mobs. When you place them next to each other, they'll automatically connect.
You may use Redstone with a fence gate to create different contraptions.
How to Make a Fence in Minecraft?
These barrier blocks are quite easy to craft, requiring only one very common material.
1. Gather Wood
Any type of wood — oak, spruce, birch, jungle, acacia, dark oak, crimson, and warped hyphae — is suitable for a fence.
You'll have to break the tree logs with your hand or, more efficiently, with an ax.
2. Make Planks and Sticks
Use your crafting table to turn the logs into planks.
Then, place two planks, one above the other, in the grid to create sticks.
You'll need four planks and two sticks for three fences.
3. Follow the Minecraft Fence Recipe
In your crafting table, arrange the materials like this:
- One plank in the first and third slots of the second and third rows
- One stick in the middle of the second and third rows
How to Make a Gate in Minecraft?
A fence gate can be opened and closed only by a player by right-clicking on it, stepping on a pressure plate, or using a Redstone signal.
To craft a gate, you'll need two wooden planks and four sticks, placed on the crafting table in the following pattern:
- One stick in the first and third slots of the second and third rows
- One plank in the middle of the second and third rows
How to Make a Nether Fence in Minecraft?
A nether brick fence is immune to fire and lava, so it's quite valuable.
The required materials are a bit harder to come by than Overworld wood, as you'll need to go to the Nether.
1. Gather Netherrack
Netherrack is a type of rock found in the Nether. It has a distinctive red and black coloration.
You'll need at least six netherrack blocks for the making of three fences in Minecraft.
However, you should break this material with a pickaxe, or it won't drop anything.
Also, don't forget to stock up on fuel for the furnace; anything you have available — charcoal, coal, or wood — will do.
2. Make Brick and Bricks
Now, these are two separate items. To craft a brick item, you need to smelt the netherrack in a furnace.
As for bricks, you have to place four nether brick items in the crafting grid, making a two by two square.
Four bricks and two brick items are necessary to craft six nether fences.
3. Follow the Nether Fence Recipe in Minecraft
When you have everything ready, it's time to arrange the materials:
- One nether brick in the first and third slots of the second and third rows
- One nether brick item in the middle of the second and third rows
That's it; now, you can build any type of fence that suits your needs.
Where to Find Fences in Minecraft?
If you don't feel like crafting fences, you may go exploring and discover some in the open world.
In case you don't want to go alone, you can set up a server and invite your friends to join you.
However, fences spawn at different locations depending on the material they are made from.
- For example, a Minecraft oak fence is often found in regular mineshafts, library rooms in strongholds, plains villages, and woodland mansions.
- As for dark oak barrier blocks, you'll need to visit a mineshaft in the badlands, woodland mansion, pillager outpost, or ancient city.
- On the other hand, you'll have to go to swamp huts or taiga and snowy tundra villages for spruce fences.
- Birch fences usually spawn at woodland mansions, jungle ones — at desert village armorer houses — and MC acacia fence blocкs — at savanna villages.
- In shipwrecks, you can find all types of wooden barrier blocks, but nether brick ones generate only in Nether fortresses.
To Wrap Up
Knowing how to make a fence in Minecraft will give you a significant strategic advantage.
These barrier blocks are a great way to keep mobs at bay and mark the boundaries of your property.
Now, you can start crafting and using fences to your benefit.
With charmingly infectious enthusiasm, Marina is always thrilled by forthcoming challenges. Thanks to her knack for gathering useful (and not so much) information, she is here to get you any answer you need.